Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Scream (Funk My Life Up) (Single) - Paolo Nutini

It has been a long time since Paolo Nutini last released an album – nearly five years in fact. His debut album These Streets was a solid first release, which established the young Scottish musician as a genuine talent with a voice that was well beyond his years. I was a fan of the album; in fact it was one of the albums I listened to a great deal around the time I was starting to learn how to play the guitar. I remember being excited around the release of the follow-up album Sunny Side Up in 2009 – more new songs to learn – and bought it the day it was released. At the time I was surprised by how different it was from the first album, but it was a fun and lively record that gained more than its share of accolades.

In the space of a couple of years Nutini had gone from singer/songwriter to the lead singer of a jazz/soul band. It was a pretty big step, but apparently it was the type of record he truly wanted to make. Having therefore established his new style one would think he’d stick with it for the third.

The upcoming album Caustic Love will likely see yet another dramatic change in direction, as this lead single seems to suggest. The first few seconds of the track seem to be suggesting a more electronic/trance music feel, but then the drums kick in, accompanied by a funky bass-line and Nutini’s familiar voice (sounding completely at ease within this new style).

The title "Scream (Funk My Life Up)" is as good as its word, as the tune delivers both (soulful) screaming as well as a rhythm that is ‘oh-so funky’ it’s hard not to want to move along with it. Nutini has become much more of a risk-taker with his lyrics, as the song has heavy sexual overtones as well as a title that is just begging to be misheard by casual listeners.

I’m not sure if I’m completely won over by this new sound, but the song is very enjoyable and I have already listened to it several times. Perhaps I’m just adjusting to yet another change. I’ll hold off making a definite decision until I hear the full album.


No comments:

Post a Comment