Sunday, May 5, 2013

Demons (Single) - The National


The National’s most recent album “High Violet” enjoyed huge levels of success, making its way onto various ‘Album of the Year’ lists in 2010. Since that time the band have gone from strength to strength, making their presence felt on various soundtracks with quality offerings such as ‘Think You Can Wait’ (Win Win) and ‘About Today’ (Warrior), as well as my personal favourite, a gloriously dark and ominous rendition of ‘The Rains Of Castamere’ (Season 2 of Game of Thrones). Now the band is preparing for the release of their sixth studio album “Trouble Will Find Me” which is due out in a couple of week’s time.

The first single ‘Demons’ continues the solid trend of output which has come from the band since “High Violet”. The track starts immediately, with a pulsing drum beat setting the rhythm, while the guitars shimmer and synthesisers hover above. Matt Berninger’s characteristically deep voice comes in, sounding even deeper than usual, and carries the song. The lyrics are some of the finest I’ve heard from the band, an outpouring of honest thoughts almost stream-of-consciousness in style. Certain lyrics grab the listener’s attention the first time out, for me it was the line “I am secretly in love with everyone that I grew up with”. Then the chorus kicks in, and there is a great punch to the way the word “down” is sung in the repeated line “I stay down with my demons” which is very satisfying.

There is something very infectious about The National which I’m drawn to. They are not a band I’d be able to easily recommend to someone, and I don’t know if I’d be in a hurry to see one of their live shows, but their music has an undeniable quality to it that keeps me listening and sometimes it fits my mood perfectly. I look forward to listening to ‘Demons’ with headphones on – once I’ve got myself a copy of the upcoming album – so that I can hear all of the lyrics much more clearly. I am also eager to hear what else the upcoming album has to offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment